Understanding the Social Media Ecology: A Honeycomb Framework


Social media are defined as "those interactive web platforms via which individuals and communities share, co-create, discuss, and modify user-generated content" Kietzmann et al. (2011, p. 241)


This video animate is based on the social media honeycomb framework presented in this posting:


Friendster, Hi5, Facebook, LinkedIn, MySpace, YouTube, Flickr, Technorati, Reddit, Digg, Delicious, Twitter: there is a rich, diverse and ever growing ecology of social media sites, offering various functionalities and capabilities. This ecology has shifted the power from those in marketing and public relations to individuals and communities that create, share, and consume blogs, tweets, Facebook entries, YouTube clips, and so forth. For instance, as BBC Business Editor Tim Weber explains: ‘‘These days, one witty tweet, one clever blog post, one devastating video –forwarded to hundreds of friends at the click of a mouse– can snowball and kill a product or damage a company’s share price.’’

But how should managers monitor, engage with and exploit the activities and content generated by the different sites that make up this social media ecology? It depends!!

I addressed this question in a recent paper, written with colleagues Jan Kietzmann, Kristopher Hermkens and Bruno Silvestre.  We present a honeycomb framework of seven social media building blocks -identity, conversations, sharing, presence, relationships, reputation, and groups (see Figure 1). Each block of the framework allows you to unpack and examine a specific facet of social media user experience, and its implications for firms (see Figure 2). Utilized individually and together, these blocks can help managers to make sense of the social media ecology, and understand their audience and their engagement needs.









We explain how a firm can recognize and understand its social media landscape, using the honeycomb framework; develop strategies that are congruent with, or suited to, different social media functionalities and the goals of the firm; develop curating strategies for their own social media interactions and content; and finally use the honeycomb structure as a tool to evaluate the constantly changing social media activity. For example, consider how the activities and content of LinkedIn, Foursquare, YouTube, and Facebook all vary -the darker the color of a block, the greater this social media functionality is within the site (see Figure 3).



Firms interested in getting serious about social media can use the honeycomb framework to monitor and understand how social media activities vary in terms of function and impact, and to develop a congruent social media strategy based on the appropriate balance of building blocks for their community.

For a more detailed description of each honeycomb framework, see the full article:


You can view a great Prezi presentation of the honeycomb framework here:

35 comments:

  1. Good Framework. Would surely like to see a case study on it.

    Ganesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I hope that you will update more articles…More power.. Thank you for the great site … full of useful information

      Delete
    2. We are learning, too, that the love of beauty is one of Nature's greatest healers.

      Delete
  3. This is a beautiful way of describing a social network and how different organizations fit into the landscape, positioning them based on their centricities. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed reading this post and the paper. Presenting social media as an ecosystem also helps people 'unpack' some recurrent prejudices and assumptions about the various media (social media is free, new PR and marketing, complicated, easy to use, a waste of time, can be left in the hands of a 20 year-old, the revolution that doesn't need to be televised...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do you think the honeycomb would look like for Twitter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conversations and Sharing would be major functionalities.

      Delete
    2. I like this blog. Very helpful and very inspirational. Thanks a ton. It’ll help me a lot.
      i just ema

      Delete
  6. Very useful theoretical framework. Reminded me of an article I read sometime ago especially the ecology metaphor aspect.

    Weaver-Hightower, M. B. (2008). An Ecology Metaphor for Educational Policy Analysis: A Call to Complexity -- Weaver-Hightower 37 (3): 153 --. Educational Researcher, 37(3). doi:10.3102/0013189X08318050

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have a case study example of a firm using the framework?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sophie - here is one case:

    http://dro.deakin.edu.au/eserv/DU:30036719/warren-astudy-2011.pdf

    Regards,

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  9. strategy based on the appropriate balance of building blocks for their community.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great Framework .... going to utilize this

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW Cathy, It's awesome diagram. I really impressive. "One single picture can able to speak thousands words", seriously this is the first thought on my mind while seeing these pictures. Very Nice.

    Well Done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Social networking gives you the ability to learn about your customers. This gives you the opportunity to communicate with your potential customers and provide them with valuable information on a regular basis and more..Great sharing post.Thanks for this.
    website design

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice post.Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! I'm still waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post thanks. Paper Writing Services

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post. Thanks for sharing. analytical paper

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post. buy real active instagram followers

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmm… I read blogs on a similar topic, but i never visited your blog. I added it to favorites and i’ll be your constant reader.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello,great post. Information are pretty exciting and saved me huge amount of time which I have spend on something else instead of searching posts like this. I am waiting for more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent article I really like your own write-up; adore the method that you explained as much as possible, your are performing an incredible career the majority of other folks as if you through in which kind of beneficial sites supply understanding in order to us all relevant to several things. My spouse and i examine various other interesting information sites from the internet sites as well as I'm so much serious along with your running a blog ability, When i in addition began to write post and also this sort conversation really guide me away. I by now added the site and propagated your current websites to help my own fellow workers not merely everyone however these just like the running a blog expertise, desire you write much more useful websites such as this a single and best of luck for the upcoming weblogs.

    Jimmy Wilson-Black Leather Jacket Costume

    ReplyDelete
  19. It’s apparent you are dedicated to excellent writing. I truly related to the main points mentioned in this writing. This is really great original information.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It’s pleasant to read. I have known very important things over here. I admire the valuable advice you make available in your expertly written content. I want to thank you for this informative read;

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have read many blogs in the net but have never come across such a well written blog. Good work keep it up. Custom Essays

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is the kind of blog I want to visit to start my day. I also admire your selection. I’ll be back soon for more discussions. As of the moment I’ll just leave a quick post just letting you know I love your blog.Sleeping Pills Online

    ReplyDelete
  23. Help my india is the World Best Forum and Blogging Site which provides the all category of forum and blogging and Social Community site.

    Social Networking Site







    ReplyDelete
  24. I can see that you are putting lots of efforts into your blog. Keep posting the good work. Some really helpful information in there. Bookmarked. Nice to see your site. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. Really its great article. Keep it up.SEO Manchester

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a very useful article. Very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article.Web Design Manchester

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would like to use this framework to study about the social media using behavior in students but I don't have enough ideas to do a questionare TT_TT because some function can not use to some social media (I didn't separate platforms,I combined it all) such as if I would like to use for instagram . It' s very hard for me.

    However ,thanks so much for your framework.

    ReplyDelete